Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Random Facts On My New Home

1. The streets are made of crushed coral and become slippery when wet
2. The key to driving on the other side of the road is to repeat to yourself "left is right" and go with the flow!
3. It's hard to order out of my comfort zone at Japanese restaurants... I have had some measure of success by simply not thinking about what I am about to eat!
4. Watching the Today Show live at 9PM is kind of weird...
5. All of the poultry at the commissary is sold frozen, yet the beef appears to be fresh...
6. We only have ten TV stations... good thing for the writer's strike or I would be seriously bummed about some of the shows I'm missing.
7. In the same vein... although the networks have full episodes of shows on their websites, they are only accessible to viewers in the US.
8. My car is a '98 Diahtsu Terio... purple... so cool!
9. We still don't have a microwave. The dilemma is whether to buy an American one that we can understand but might not work well b/c of voltage issues, or to buy a Japanese one that will work great, but we won't know how to set the timer (b/c all the instructions are in Japanese)!
10. Getting Gabe his food might be a challenge. The website from which we order does not work in Japan... if anyone has an awesome vet who will write you a prescription for some duck and potato dog food... and will then send it to us... that person will be our FAVORITE!
11. I am going through some serious "Friends" withdrawal... yes, I know, it's been off the air for a few years now, but I still always enjoy it in syndication. If anyone wants to hook me up with Seasons 1-10... you would be my FAVORITE!
12. Burr thinks that because we are living in Japan we should do as the Japanese do and remove our shoes as soon as we walk in the door. I have promised to comply as soon as he gets me some UGG slippers!
13. I comply with the shoe rule already. But am still waiting on some slippers.
14. I have seen the sun twice since I have been here... and both times it was beautiful.
15. The rain isn't really that bad... it's actually nice to hear on the roof at night, and most days it's either misty out or just overcast.
16. Gabe and Penny are becoming lazy slobs due to their quarantine.
17. Burr loves flying with his squadron over here.
18. SKYPE is awesome!
19. Gunners Gym on base is quite good. The treadmills are very high-tech (each has a built in TV screen), and I went to a Spinning Class today. (Somehow, I crashed on my stationary bike... it takes special talent!)
20. Burr and I are placing bets on who will be our first visitor. Get your passports and tickets and we'll see who called it right!

Stay tuned for more... as our place comes together, I will post pictures of it. Promise!

Grace and Peace,
Rachel

1 comment:

Bsr. said...

Hi Rachel, Burr,

Anita pulled up your blog and we surfed it together. Very enlightening and entertaining. Amazing seeing snow in Japan. Your Cessna ride in Burr's capable hands
must have been an experience! Talk about trusting your partner... Burr's blog was harder to enter, so Anita will help with that endeavor.

Your children look contented, now able to surf the beaches on leash.
Wonder do you ever take Gabe to the Marine base to run in open spaces there? And heard what you said re: lockdown and curtailed freedoms to roam your country that makes one appreciate their small family enclave. Lose something dear and it hits home harder.

When it comes to "the trip" albeit short notice passport in hand, willing to bet I threw off your respective bets who arrives first correct if wrong. Apologize for the two week short notice by the way. Is it ever a good time [or appropriate time] when scheduling a logistical overseas trip given time demands of 3, 4 or more people? Yes coordination is mucho preferred to ad lib just show up, I understand. Unfortunately for ya'll it is the proverbial 'strike when the iron is hot' while opportunity presents itself. Time and experience teaches this after 52 years. Perfection is hard to come by. [Generally the best part of aging is learning from mistakes knowing certain ones won't be repeated though pesky ones may nag later.]

In short thanks for working around me. In my case in limbo for an eternity it seems, the itch to see Burr and you one more time before2009 or 2010 has been too overpowering given the recent contstraints on my life which to the naked eye seem nil or non-existant. But to my way of thinking, time is of the essence with more than a sense of urgency so I may carry on, pick up the pieces from both parents [health] demise.

Re: Japan, a few meals, church perhaps on Sunday, some Gabe/Penny petting action, a tea or coffee visit, a sunset if through clouds and a beach walk if alone (by taxi if necessary or walk depending on hotel distance) will be a successful trip in my eyes. Anything else will be gravy. I travel with books everywhere so boredom hardly strikes. And not to worry if you are busy tending social duties with friends, associates. Burr has squadron responsibilities I surely understand. I'll slip in, slip out with minimum interference, minimal needs. Please stay loose and relaxed. In a perfect would we would have a month to prepare, days to sit around and talk and hit the favorite sights. In my world (yes I hear the wheels turning painting me rather selfish) mostly unpredictable to date, I'm in process of turning that around given newfound freedoms and independence absent care-giving to dad first then mother. Having a little money in pocket helps, too, finally settling Dad's estate from 1996, timing of which [dollars] contingent on Peggy's death.

Unfortunately Anita bore the brunt of my consciencious - conscious care-giving decision coinciding with a long sabatical that many disapproved; in the end I had to live with myself. Anita was a casualty of my consequences pursuing dreams and ambitions that, to date, look stillborn. But there's more to it than meets the eye. I've been waiting a long time to restart, and the sooner the better.

Heaven knows I tried to make a "life" first for Burr's mother Linda, then Anita, failing miserably it seems. But then when one does his best, what more can you do? Honestly that mirror looks back and doing things differently since leaving Southwest given what I knew then seems highly improbable. Such personal setbacks, or sacrifices perhaps, increasingly drive me toward new horizons, new ways of managing my personal AND professional life. You'll see. Yes, can sense suspicions creeping in, as "show me," prove it in other words yet we know time will be the great judge.

Both of you, please know taking care of business is my forte' when it comes to family despite the divorce--from leaving Navy flying in 1980 to focus on immediate family, to putting salve on parental aches and pains in their sunset years. Both family and job sacrifices are part of life and demands for our personal unselfishness comes when we least expect it, when its often inconvenient.

Please don't ever imagine your family i.e., my children, being financially burdened by any idle lifestyle 'not working', flitting from job to job, 'irresponsible' etc. That ain't gonna happen. Provisions on my part will be made I assure you so none must stop mid-life to care-give as eleborately as I did for Peggy and Freddy.

Sadly I short-changed Burr and his siblings growing up and enough sorry's can't be expressed to atone for the horrid distance, missing their youthful, adolescent stages, their ballgames, cheerleading--essense of divorce fallout; imagine you know those pains well Rachel. Lessons learned too numerous to recall wouldn't serve much purpose here for you two already know the stakes in marriage, namely, emotional tolls stemming from divorce.

A nice hug from Burr, personally wishing ya'll a great year on your own far away from family and friends is my main purpose. What an opportunity an ocean away to grow stronger in partnership, in mutual dependence given newfound adult freedoms and adult independence all the while making new "lists," seeing the orient, enjoying church experiences, taking long walks and talks, feeling ocean breezes breathing salty air, contemplating your next family steps.

Nothing like family. Repeat, nothing like family for better or worse, enduring highs and lows. Those highs today can turn tommorrow's lows on a dime with one or two bad judgement calls, with one or two failures to grant forgiveness. Not getting preachy but thought I'd throw that in for free.

Best close now. Hopefully you have a better understanding why Japan now. I love you both and wouldn't want to intrude in your lives though your own blog finale sounded invitational by nature. My prayer is when your next guests plan their visit, each accomodates the other in ways that please and lend excitement and anticipation. Know there will be times in your professional climbs (plural) up the ladder--whether Japan or North Carolina, military or business--when arriving guests can't be controlled like cooking a roast or shopping for one. Life deals us the hand we must play. Regret if the hand I've played in the coming weeks sux. My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience.

Enjoy the upcoming week and moments inbetween. Emotional strength permitting, keep daily stress of job and marriage in check, in perspective. Lot's of love to you both.

Fly safe. Drive safe.

Love, Dad

(big Burr)