It's true. I am that person. The one who travels to a different country ignorant of that country's language, customs, and traditions. And who hasn't tried to figure them out. Shame on me.
Yesterday I went to a department store in town (OFF BASE with locals working there!) to buy curtains, lightbulbs, and a dresser. Curtains, check. Lightbulbs, check. Dresser, well... I found the one I wanted... but how would I tell someone that I wanted it? How would I get it home? All things I wish I had thought of before I went up to the nice sales clerk, smiled and said, "English?"
Now, to give the guy credit, he did smile as he went off to find another clerk who spoke my language. But I felt like a foreigner. An interloper in a place I did not belong. As we finished the transaction I stuttered out a broken, "thank you," in Japanese and resolved to do a better job of learning the language and culture. (For those of you wondering, it is my understanding that the dresser will be delivered tomorrow between one and five in the afternoon. I think...)
You see, unlike my other travel abroad experiences, I came to this country knowing nothing. No language, only basic history of the WWII invasion, and no knowledge of the art or music. I have always enjoyed Japanese steakhouses, but I don't think that counts... And now that I'm here, I find it very easy to remain "American." It is easy to be here and not become immersed in the Okinawan culture and lifestyle. The gym I go to is on-base. As is my grocery store. And my basic needs shopping center. And the church, library, restaurants, furniture store, etc, etc, etc...
Our friends are Americans. And when we do go out in town, we choose restaurants with
pictures of the food and preferably an English translation on the menu!
I'm ashamed to say that when we/I shop in town, I expect the sales clerks to at least speak basic English. Yes, I'm that "Stupid American" who expects everyone to know my language but makes little effort to learn even the basics of my host country. Shame on me.
So, I am resolving to take a language class (on-base, but at least it's a start!), and to begin to educate myself about this land I will call "home" for the foreseeable future. It's the least I can do, right? These lovely, kind, PATIENT people are my hosts, afterall.
Grace and Peace,
Rachel
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
WOW! I'm intensely curious of your experiences there (Japan). Just by surfing the Blogger site, I ran into your Blogger site. I'm trying to learn Japanese currently (teaching myself) because I like the culture and trying to become trilingual too! If possible, please share anything that you think is worth sharing about your experiences there. How do they treat you, do they tend to keep body movements to a minimum, was there anything you had to know immediately while you are there?
Post a Comment