Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

One of the things I'm learning to deal with while Burr is away (I know, it's only been two days... go with me on this!), is a plethora of free time. This free time is an excellent opportunity for me to take on projects that, until now, have existed only in my head!

Today, I planted flowers! We don't really have a yard, just a wide open, concrete roof with a view of the city and the ocean. So, no grass, no deck, no dirt. I purchased some colorful flowerpots of various sizes from the Exchange and then I shopped for my flowers out in town.

From anyone who remembers my dresser adventure at Jusco, the Flower Buying at "Monkey Man" was just as challenging. Basically, I have no idea what I bought. Some red, some white, some violet, and some yellow... but no clue what type of flowers they are or even if they will grow! The soil I purchased had pictures of flowers and vegetables on it, so I guess it will work?!? We'll see...

I did have better luck on the herb front. Since I know what the herbs I like look and smell like I was able to use my reasoning skills to find rosemary, thyme, flat leaf parsley, and basil. I was very disappointed not to find cilantro or chives, but I'll stay on the lookout. Apparently cilantro is quite a commodity around here; it's rarely even available at the Commissary, and I've never seen it out in town.

If my little flower pot garden actually begins to grow and look the way it does in my head, I'll post pictures. If it doesn't grow, I'll post pictures of my dismal failure and take suggestions for next time!

Grow little garden, please grow!!

Rachel

No comments: