The annual Below Family Reunion has been so special this year. It was hosted by the “Bowling Green, KY” First Generation siblings, and much of the activity has been centered at my grandmother’s house. I have gotten to stay in my dad’s old bedroom and have really enjoyed this time of reconnection to my extended family and to my roots!
Of the original eleven brothers and sisters of my grandmother’s family, nine are still living and they all came in for the reunion. This is the first time that this has happened in recent memory and has made it all that much better! Additionally, many of my second generation cousins (my dad’s generation) came in for the festivities, and several third generation (that’s me!) cousins came as well! I have gotten to visit with cousins on an “adult level” for the first time in years; I think that the last time I saw some of them was when we were all in second or third grade and driving our parents and grandparents crazy! It has been fun to come together this time as young adults and learn about each other’s interests and lifestyles and to see how similar and diverse we all are.
This year’s reunion began with a potluck dinner at Grandmother’s house Thursday night. She had a delicious country ham for us and fresh country vegetables (you just can’t find them in Okinawa!). Aunt Chicky made a luscious Jam Cake and I enjoyed the brownies as well!
On Friday Aunt Jane and I went into Bowling Green to run some errands and to do a bit of shopping. I stocked up on a couple of new swimsuits, goggles, and shoes at one of my favorite outdoors shops, Nat’s, then we noshed on bagels and cream cheese from one of my high school haunts. A quick stop at the grocery, then the flower shop and we were back in Chalybeate putting together the stratas for brunch on Saturday morning. Uncle Russ hosted dinner in Bowling Green Friday night; that was the first “big event” of the weekend, with 40+ family members in attendance.
On Saturday, the First Generation had breakfast at Aunt Chicky’s; the rest of us had brunch at Grandmother’s. Aunt Jane and I were in charge of the stratas, and several others pitched in by bringing fresh cantaloupe (Delicious!), pastries, donuts, coffee, and juice. It was a great party! Several people went to Mammoth Cave National Park for a cave tour afterwards and seemed to be a highlight of the day. In the afternoon, Grandmother’s was once again the gathering place and the porch-sitting began in earnest. We had dinner at her house then did our annual “Christmas;” a Dirty-Santa style gift exchange in which about fifty people participated!
The festivities wound down on Sunday with a brunch at Sharlene’s house. I think that all will agree that this year’s reunion was quite special and one to remember fondly for years to come. I am so blessed to come from such a wonderfully diverse, unique family.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment