Friday, July 18, 2008

The Roads I've Travelled

Last weekend Mom and I hit I-65N and headed from Birmingham, AL to Bowling Green, KY. For the four years that I attended Samford University this was my trip home. I still remember my favorite exit (351) and all of the food choices there, and I still look forward to the prettiest part of the drive - the big bridge through the wildlife preserve just before Huntsville. Crossing into Tennessee is always nice, and the Jack Daniels Distillery still let me know that I'm on the right road!

Yesterday we hit the road and travelled from Birmingham to Tallahassee, FL. This was my drive for the two and a half years I did my graduate work at Florida State. It was exciting to pull back into Tallahassee and go to one of my favorite restaurants and to pass all of the familiar landmarks on the way. From there, we drove on to Daytona Beach to see Aunt Rita, Uncle Terry, Grandad, Aunt Tammy and Andrea. We are having an impromptu family reunion this weekend... should be fun!

It's been neat to drive these familiar routes the last couple of weeks. Seeing things that were such a part of my life for so long and experiencing it all in different way now that my life is so far removed. I think that it's always fun to look back, but the best of living happens in the present.

Have a great weekend,
rmf

No comments: