Friday, March 28, 2008

The Birthday Carrot Cake

This was my first time to A: make carrot cake and B: decorate it with actual decorating tools. It tasted better than it looked...



The recipe was called "Sam's Famous Carrot Cake" and I found it on one of my favorite websites, www.allrecipes.com.

3 eggs
3/4 cup each of buttermilk and veggie oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup each flaked cocount, chopped walnuts, and raisins (I boiled the raisins in orange juice then drained them before adding them in.)
1 (8oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice

- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour your pan. (8x12, or you can be like me and use a round springform pan.)
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple, and raisins.
- Add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake on 350 for an hour. Check with toothpick. (This is where I overdid it... The knife that I sent through the center of the cake didn't come out clean and I kept putting it back in for a few more minutes. The sides and top and bottom were too well done. It was fine after the first hour.
- Allow to cool before serving.

THE FROSTING!! (and really, isn't that why we all love carrot cake?)
16 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extracts
32 oz. powdered sugar, sifted

Mix these ingredients well. YUM!!!

This frosting recipe yields a huge amount. I think next time I will cut it in half because we have a lot of cream cheese frosting leftover in our fridge right now!

Also, be careful when adding the powdered sugar to the mixer... this is what happened to Gabe when I turned the mixer on too high with too much sugar!





I don't think he minded too much!
rmf

No comments: