What an unexpected, delightful suprise!
I haven't seen a movie that had musical integrity (some... still better than most), a great plot, talented actors, and a bit of fantasy all rolled into one in a long time. If ever.
This movie didn't appeal to me when I saw the previews. I'm just not into cheeseball "Mr. Holland's Opus"-y films. It looked like this would be another. Happily, it was a very wrong first impression.
One of my guitar students (who also happens to be our chaplain's wife) recommended the film to me a few weeks ago; that's what put the bug in my ear. The other night as I perused the rentals at the Shopette, I figured I would give it a try. I've always like Freddie Highmore, I think Keri Russell is gorgeous, and Jonathan Rhys-Myers makes a compelling leading man (especially now that he is my new "guilty pleasure" crush... I've gotten into the series "The Tudors" which will be a whole other post and he's King Henry). I was also attracted by the supporting cast: Terrance Howard (love him) and Robin Williams. Finally, I decided to rent a movie that I would be less likely to watch if Burr were home. So... August Rush.
My biggest critique is that the story is completely fanciful. But the film has such heart and sweetness to it (the good kind, not the kind that makes you want to gag!) that you can overlook the unlikeliness. And isn't that the job of a good story: To make you suspend your sense of disbelief.
Watch this movie. It is a delight. And the music is great! I love the play on harmonics throughout. Watch it, and let me know if you love it as much as I did!
"The music is all around us..."
-August Rush
rmf
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment