Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Meant to be

I can tell you this: it was NOT meant to be for me to take a trip to see Burr next week. It is almost certain that he will not be in port during my planned travel dates, so I have officially made the decision not to go. I am eating the $200 cancellation fee and happily taking the rest of the ticket price back.

But as it turns out, it WAS meant to be for me to stay on Okinawa next week. I called the SCUBA places on Monday to see about certification classes this summer. They all but laughed at me as they told me that all of the classes were booked up until August. But then... there was a possible cancellation for the week of June 2! Yesterday I went by Tsunami just to see if the spot had opened up. This time, they really did laugh at me! But I had the last laugh as I jumped up and down in the store celebrating the cancellation and the spot with my name on it! It was TOTALLY meant to be for me to be on Okinawa next week to get SCUBA certified! Hooray!

I have decided to just have an island vacation next week. All of my lessons have already been cancelled, and I don't want to reschedule them all at the last minute. So, I'll play in the sun, go on long walks and hikes with Gabe, go swimming, take a tour of the botanical gardens, and OH YEAH get SCUBA certified!

Burr on the other hand will remain in Thailand indefinitely, wondering how he is supposed to get home. Such is the life of a Marine...

rmf

1 comment:

Amber said...

When we lived at Kadena, my Mom always complained that whenever the bad weather (typhoons or whatever) would head in, with the ensuing warnings, danger, etc, my Dad would have to leave to fly the planes to a safe location. Like I don't know... another tropical island. So she (and us three kids) would make it through the typhoon, then my dad would come home all tan from his island vacation.

Its just not fair. You know?