Sort of...
It's already the first Saturday in May, here in Okinawa, but it doesn't do me that much good! The way I figure it, I will be fast asleep when the horses "run for the Roses" in Louisville on their Saturday afternoon. Bummer.
Last year we had a great Derby Party/Cinqo de Mayo Party at our house in Pensacola. Mom and Kristy were there as well as several of our friends in the area. We wore hats, we placed "bets," we drank mint juleps, margaritas, and ate enchiladas. Truly, a recipe for a great party.
So this year, on the first Saturday in May, the day looks quite different. Most of my friends are on the boat with Burr, and I can't stay up until the wee hours of morning to watch a two minute horse race. The big plans for the day are to finish planting the last of the flowers, go for a swim at Camp Foster, try out a new fried rice recipe, and make Julia Child's mixed starter bread.
Last night, in my Friday night boredom I went to the Exchange for a little while. I got some pictures to hang in our room, to finish out the decor. I also got the Showtime TV series "The Tudors" season one on DVD. It's a fanciful look at the early court of King Henry VIII. (You know, BEFORE he started dispatching his wives!) I've done pretty well with Burr's absence during the week... I guess because it's normal to have the house to myself during the daytime hours. But the weekend feels different. I'm not used to quite so much "Me" time. The challenge is to keep up my motivation for all these little projects I have in my head and not succumb to staring at the television for hours at a time or just taking a long nap to pass the hours. I can spend my time reading, hanging pictures, cleaning, organizing, doing lesson plans, reviewing scores, cooking... see... there's LOTS to do!!
Well, whenever you read this I hope that you have a wonderful Derby Day. Have a mint julep for me!
rmf
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment