Monday, August 25, 2008

Recurring Theme

Be forewarned - this post is just a rant!

Ever since I was a little girl, I have tried to make plans and do special things with my friends. In elementary school, it was dressing alike; "Mom, I need my pink shirt and blue shorts because we're all going to dress alike tomorrow and wear our hair in side ponytails!" And a frantic search would ensue for the said items so that I would keep my word to dress like my friends. And then, the next day at school, of course, I would be the only one who had actually done what we said we were going to do.

This trend continued through junior high and highschool and took on the form of phone calls and plans that never came through. So, it's really been no suprise to me as I've grown up that people don't always come through with what they say that they will. "I'll call you..." "Let's do lunch..." "We HAVE to get together again!" etc... and nothing ever happens. No suprise, but still a disappointment.

I know that sometimes I'm the one who drops the ball, and I understand that things come up, preventing people from coming through in the way they said that they would. Sometimes I just feel like I'm doing all the work to make plans, see them through, and meet the needs of my friends. I don't mind... relationships mean a lot to me, so I'm willing to do the work, I just get tired and wish that it weren't so one-sided.

Ok, rant over. Sorry.

On a lighter note, I was VERY pleasantly suprised today when someone actually did call me back! I'm trying to put together a boat dive for a group next weekend, and I called the boat Capt. last week to book the trip. Our conversation was rather brief and didn't leave me with much confidence that he would follow-up. But he DID! So, the dive is booked and five friends and I will be hitting the water next Saturday off of a boat! Hooray! (Now, the question is, will the said five friends still come through to do the dive... hmmm... it remains to be seen.)

Remember, don't call me... I'll call you!

rmf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel you on being the only friend at times to follow through with plans or even bother to make plans. I think it's because not everyone is as fabulous and thoughtful as we are.

I promise when I come to visit we can wear pink shirts, blue shorts and put our hair in side ponytails!!!